Anxious Parent – A&E Doctor Advice

Dr Colin Wong, Paediatric Consultant at NHS Warrington and Halton Hospitals Foundation Trust (WHHFT) offers advice to parents who are concerned when their children become unwell:

What should I do if my child is poorly?

What should I do if my child has a temperature?

Where do I take my child when they are ill?

When should I take my child to A&E?

Advice for parents during COVID-19

Whilst coronavirus is infectious to children, it is rarely serious. If your child is unwell, it is likely to be a non-coronavirus illness, rather than coronavirus itself.

Whilst it is extremely important to follow Government advice to stay home during this period, it can be confusing to know what to do when your child is unwell or injured.

Remember that NHS 111, GPs and hospitals are still proving the same safe care that they have always done. Here is some advice to help:

Childrens alternative care options

Widnes Urgent Treatment Centre

Widnes Urgent Treatment Centre is open for children with fevers and other minor injuries or illness that require urgent attention, but are not life-threatening.

Widnes Urgent Treatment Centre

Oaks Place, Caldwell Road, Widnes, WA8 7GD

Open 8:00am – 9:00pm, 7 days a week, 365 days a year

Minor Ailments Scheme (Halton)

Halton also offer a Minor Ailment Scheme where parents can get Calpol, Paracetamol and various other medications for free where necessary. Please speak with your local pharmacy for more information.

Find your local Pharmacy here: Find a Pharmacy - NHS

Catch App

The #CATCH App is a very useful tool for anyone looking after little ones. It contains information about emergency care for children, services available in the local area and information on routine care, such as immunizations and medications. Get it wherever you get your apps!

Dr Bishop tells us why she recommends the #CATCH App


Choose Well