How can a community pharmacist help you?
People often go to the doctor with common ailments because they are unsure how long symptoms last and need reassurance that it isn’t anything more serious. Instead of waiting for an appointment at your surgery, consider going to your local pharmacist first.
Pharmacists will help you choose the right treatment for your ailment and can explain the normal duration of symptoms. They can also offer you help to stop smoking, manage your weight, and can often provide flu jabs and blood pressure checks. Many pharmacies also have private consulting rooms.
Pharmacists are highly trained health professionals and may offer a wider range of health services than you might think. Pharmacists can help with:
- Mild skin conditions, such as acne and eczema
- Coughs and colds, including nasal congestion and sore throats
- Minor cuts and bruises
- Constipation and haemorrhoids (piles)
- Hayfever and allergies
- Aches and pains, such as headaches, earache and backache
- Indigestion, diarrhoea and threadworms
- Period pain and thrush
- Warts, verruca’s, mouth ulcers and cold sores
- Athletes foot
- Nappy rash and teething
- Some pharmacies can provide truss fittings, stoma products and incontinence supplies
- Emergency contraception (the morning-after pill)
- Needle and syringe exchange services
- Pregnancy tests. Most pharmacies can provide pregnancy test kits, and some have a private area where you can use the kit
- NHS stop-smoking courses
You can find details of the locations and opening times of Warrington pharmacies here: Find a Warrington Pharmacy.