Cardiovascular disease (CVD)
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is a general term for conditions affecting the heart or blood vessels. It’s usually associated with build-up of fatty deposits inside the arteries (atherosclerosis) and an increased risk of blood clots.
CVD health checks
Free CVD health checks are available at your Halton GP practices, if you are between the ages of 40-74 years old and you've not had a health check in the last 5 years.
CVD health check tests include checks on; blood pressure, lipid levels, diabetes, and creatinine levels. Contact your GP surgery today for more information.
For further information about the main types of CVD and their causes, please visit NHS website.
For further information about the following Halton CVD preventative services, please speak to your GP practice.
- Atrial fibrillation tests
- ECG/ blood pressure monitoring in general practice
- Healthy Living Pharmacies (community pharmacy)
- Heart age monitors (public venues e.g. Runcorn Town Hall)
- National Diabetes Prevention Programme (Type 2 diabetes only)
- Exercise referral schemes
- Think wellbeing services (mental health)
- Stop smoking services
CVD Acute and Specialist Services
Acute (Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen Uni Hospitals NHS Trust)
Contact - Switchboard – 0151 706 2000
Lipid clinics currently available across Cheshire and Merseyside in the following areas:
Southport, Aintree, Liverpool, Wirral, Chester, Leighton, Macclesfield and Warrington.
Paediatric clinic available at Alder hey Hospital.